Merlin

Here's the place to discuss science fiction and fantasy TV and Web series, plus their characters, actors, and crew.

Merlin

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:58 pm

I was just going over the list of threads and realized we haven't been talking about the series we've been watching this summer. So, lets talk!
Raven Kai
Administrator

Re: Merlin

New postby Aaron_0105 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:18 pm

Well i for one enjoyed it. I like how they've made Arthur, Merlin and Morgana (whose a dish :wink: ) the same age. I'm eagerly waiting for the second season to start here.
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:47 am

Having grown up with King Arthur stories, this is quite a departure for me but after the horrible 'updates to the classic tale' we've seen in films the past few years, it was really easy for me to get over this aspect of the show. It's a brilliant cast, very well written and well acted. Morgana (Katie McGrath) is a gem! I can't wait to see how they develop her character. She seems to be underutilized though... As for the age thing, in many stories, Merlin ages backwards or is timeless so I can accept him as a youth instead of a grizzled old man. I like the relationships between the characters and also think they did well on downplaying / completely removing the incestuous part of the story. With the way they wrote this, it would be easy to see people 'misremembering' history as, 'Oh yes, Arthur sired a son with his sister Morgana'. I'm kind of curious though why Merlin is so oblivious to the girls. I mean, he's friends with them but why hasn't he noticed a certain someone pining away for him?

Overall they have laid a great groundwork for the story and my only 'complaint' (though it is too strong a word) would be that there are never more then a handful of knights or soldiers. There should be dozens if not hundreds (even if they don't have the budget for that many extras or fx to add them in) I guess that could be fixed in the editing if they cared to.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:37 pm

oh i think he knows :wink: but it was my understanding that Arthur and Gwenivere hook up and lancealot steals her heart from Arthur.. even though they have 'met' each other now...
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:22 am

Your impression from this show or other Arthur stories?

In some stories, like in Excalibur, Gwen was married to the king because he was enamored with her, the only woman who really caught his eye. And the conception of Mordred was when Morgana enchanted herself to look like Gwen so that she could conceive an Heir she could rule Camelot through. But in that version, Morgana and Arthur had the same mother and Arthur himself was the result of an enchanted rape, when Uther had Merlin enchant his appearance so he could seduce her since she was another man's wife. The deal with Merlin was that if he would arrange for Uther to have her, Merlin would have the result of that union. Thus, Arther was taken at birth and placed in the care of a Knight and his son, Kay (Kai or Chai in the Gaelic - where my name comes from). When Lancelot came along, Arthur and Gwen both loved him deeply and Lancelot returned their deep affection, but then he and Gwen's feelings crossed lines that should not have been crossed. Arthur was king before husband and neglected her far too often for the sake of the kingdom. He unintentionally pushed her into Lancelot's arms. Interestingly, Morgana and Merlin were hinted at being lovers in that version of the story which would be kind of cool to add to this show. We can at least see the foundation for he and Morgana being close.

Also, in MZM's Mysts of Avalon, which is told from the women's point of view, there was a lot more political intrigue, a lot more peganism in practice, the old gods and new God struggling for dominance in society, and the Morgana/Arthur liason was the result of she (as priestess) playing the role of the virgin Goddess being taken by the 'stag' (horned god or green man ... life/death/rebirth cycle) who just happens to be a masked Arthur. In that story, the Lancelet (as in throwing dart), Arthur and Gwenefer triangle crosses the boundries of affection into a 3 way love triangle where L and A's feelings are more then friendship as well.

In Idylls of the King, Lancelot's true love was Elane and in Mysts of Avalon, he loves her and marries her but never gets over his affection for Arthur and Gwen.

It's such a sordid story, there are limitless interpretations.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:24 am

limitless interpretations is right!
And no in the recent series yet but i do seem to remember seeing Arthur in a movie being married to her.. so who knows how this series will portray it.

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:39 pm

I guess we will just have to keep watching and find out! :D
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Dementi » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:08 pm

While I am fascinated by anything Arthurian in legend...I had some issues with the show. I will get to them when I have had a chance to formulate a much more coherent thought...is there a second season for NA viewers?
I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream.
Dementi

New postby Aaron_0105 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Don't know about NA viewers but i think we are due to get it some time very soon... apparently....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Dementi » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:27 pm

I'll have to look later for more info...going to bed....
Dementi

New postby Aaron_0105 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:33 pm

sweet dreams!

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Dementi » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:38 pm

hums "are made of these"...bah, now I have the song stuck in my head...
Dementi

New postby Aaron_0105 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:39 pm

lol

and now so do i.... doh!

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Dementi » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:43 pm

I win!
Dementi

New postby Aaron_0105 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:45 pm

never.

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:10 pm

Episode 6 of season 2 was broadcast this week in UK. As of this time, I don't know if any NA stations are going to pick up season 2 or not.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:46 pm

I have been thinking about waiting for it to be broadcast here (so i can save on download usage) but i can't seem to find a release date yet. Might have to be another one to start downloading...

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

Return to TV and Web Series