Spaced

Here's the place to discuss science fiction and fantasy TV and Web series, plus their characters, actors, and crew.

Spaced

New postby kingfelic » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Ok so the other day I watched the first season of Spaced... i thought it was awesome. It is every piece of geek life put into 14 episodes, lol... though I only watched 7 so far. Has anyone else heard of it? I really hope so, lol.

so for anyone who may not know:

Wikipedia wrote:Tim Bisley (Pegg) and Daisy Steiner (Hynes) are two London twenty-somethings who meet by chance in a cafe while both are flat-hunting. Despite barely knowing each other, they conspire to pose as a young professional couple in order to meet the requisites of an advertisement for a relatively cheap flat in the distinctive building at 23 Meteor Street, Tufnell Park, which is owned by and also houses the landlady, Marsha Klein (Julia Deakin). Also in the building is Brian Topp (Mark Heap), an eccentric conceptual artist who lives and works on his various pieces in the ground floor flat. Frequent visitors are Tim's best friend, Mike Watt (Nick Frost) and Daisy's best friend, Twist Morgan (Katy Carmichael).

The series largely concerns the colourful and surreal adventures of Tim and Daisy as they navigate through life, decide on what they want to do with their lives, come to terms with affairs of the heart, and try to figure out new and largely unproductive ways of killing time. Tim and Daisy repeatedly stress that they aren't a couple to everyone but Marsha, but despite (or because of) this, romantic tension develops between them, particularly during the second series.

The central comedic conceit of the series is that it portrays the rather ordinary lives of Daisy and Tim using overblown Hollywood blockbuster clichés.

Funny thing, I was watching it with 4 other friends, including chris seeing that it was his, and we came to this hilarious realization... the two main characters Daisy and Tim are Chris and I in real life, except that we don't live together. Was funny because Chris pointed out that it would exatly be us if we lived in the same apartment, lol.... Sadly it's true, haha.

I'm quite surprised a show of true geekiness is not up here yet, lol.
Geek: slang term, noting individuals as "a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc." Formerly, the term referred to a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken, bat, snake or bugs. The 1976 edition of the American Heritage Dictionary included only the definition regarding geek shows.
kingfelic

Spaced is my life

New postby loganmatrix2008 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:21 pm

Hey

yea, i figured seeing as Simon Pegg and his little gang of friends were in this that it would be a great buy and it definitely was !

And yea, coming to the realization that the character Tim is pretty much exactly who i am and that daisy was Felicia was both really funny, but also slightly strange as to what a huge coincidence it is. mind you i don't skateboard as he does, but i did try once.... it ended badly.

I'll have to watch season 2 as soon as i can and see how this all turns out.
Trust me, its not the years its the mileage...
loganmatrix2008

New postby kingfelic » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:23 pm

You must, it is the only way we can see our future!

I skateboarded a few times, and what happened to Daisy was exactly what happened to me! haha I'm curious to see the rest now.
Geek: slang term, noting individuals as "a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc." Formerly, the term referred to a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken, bat, snake or bugs. The 1976 edition of the American Heritage Dictionary included only the definition regarding geek shows.
kingfelic

New postby Pegasus Angel » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:02 am

I've seen both series twice and thought they were fantastic!! Def in my top five comedies. :D
Pegasus Angel

New postby Aaron_0105 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:39 am

Sorry, never heard of it.. But thanks fore the tip.. Something else to add to my never ending list of things to do....
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:01 am

They had Spaced featured at the BBC booth at Comic Con and I think they had a panel I was interested in going to BUT I had something else to do. It was on my list of things to check out when I got home. For some reason, with all the stuff being surrounded with Doctor Who and Torchwood toys, posters, etc. I assumed Spaced was a scifi comedy. :P

Thanks for the info on it. I'm looking forward to seeing it now.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Victoria Winters » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:00 am

mmm...toys...
Any view of things that is not strange, is false.
Victoria Winters

New postby Raven Kai » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:08 am

*whispers* there was a life sized Dalek there!!!! Oh and a great postcard that had the front of a shop on it...

"Dalek Day Spa" Cool... They guy who made it has it online...

Raven Kai
Administrator

Return to TV and Web Series