Smallville

Here's the place to discuss science fiction and fantasy TV and Web series, plus their characters, actors, and crew.

Smallville

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:00 am

Can I privately admit to you that I have been in love with Superman since 1977? Kal El was my first true love and I have never gotten over him. I remember watching the old TV shows, cartoons, movies, et al. I wear primary colors in homage to him. I have hats, necklaces, rings, shirts, collectors cards from the bubblegum packs in “The Motion Picture”, even a cookie Jar and Clock (the lava lamp got broken *sniff*). I carried my Superman Lunch Box until it fell apart at its hinges and even tried hiding it away until mom discovered it and tossed it one day, breaking my heart. I go so far as to keep the tags off of branded merchandise. Isn’t that just sick? The REALLY sad part of this obsession is that I don’t even know if I own any Superman comic books.

“WHAT?!?!” you say.

That’s right. I don’t know if I even own any comics. You see, when I was a kid, my Grandma Kennedy would get a stack of about 20 random comic books from the local flea market. Sundays after church, we would go to Grandma K’s house for lunch and after eating, my brother and I would work our way through the pile. We were not allowed to keep any of the comics because she would take them to trade in towards credit on the next stack. She did this every weekend for many years and I was able to read so many different varieties and genres that I just fell in love with them as a whole. Occasionally, I was brave enough to try to hide one and take it home forever but usually got caught. I know a few Warlord, Turok, Arion, Atari Force, Groo, Star Wars and Dare Devil got through but I don’t recall if I managed to keep any Superman. When I would spend summers with my other grandmother, I would ride my bike to the local comic shop and do much the same thing, though I got to keep the ones I really liked. I was a teenager before I was finally able to begin tracking down all those lost treasures, many of which I still have yet to recover (Such as the Atari Force Mini-comics that were only available with the Atari “Space Command” series of Video Games). Of all of my obsessions, the one that has been most forcefully enduring has been my love of Superman.

Enter Tom Welling…

He just smolders in a way that I haven’t seen since Kevin Smith (Ares from Hercules and Xena) passed away. I have looked at Superman in many, many ways before but never quite the way I have since Smallville came on the air. Now, at first I kind of felt guilty for thinking this ‘kid’ was so hot but then I found out how old Tom Welling is and now I am perfectly fine with my Mrs. Robinson-esque ‘crush’ (for lack of a better word). I have loved Superman all of my life, for everything he is and everything he stands for (I’ll save that talk for later). Even though we had our ‘Christopher Reeve Weekends’ when I was growing up, with all of the woman and girls in the family getting together for a marathon of “Superman”, “Superman II” and “Somewhere In Time”, Superman’s appearance never really entered into the picture. What was outside wasn’t a variable. It what was inside that counted and I never thought of him as being ‘sexy’ really until Alex Ross’ “Kingdom Come” came out (which I did own a first edition of until it was taken by a ‘friend’ for Alex to sign and never returned to me).

Why would I find the aged Kal sexy? Hmm, well, the art work was amazing for one thing. Another thing was the beard and ponytail with the graying around the edges. Here he was, pulling the plow in his fields, an ‘old’ man who had outlived his friends, his family, everything and everyone important to him, a man who had the world around him outgrow him, and with all his powers, he was spending his time in silence, in Solitude, tilling the soil and living as close to human as he ever had a chance to be. I see so much in that one still picture that I can’t possibly put it into words, and then Smallville came on the air and we see the ‘humble origins’ of how this amazing man could turn out the way he did. We see Jonathan and Martha in a way we never got to see them before. We saw Kal / Clark going through all the same drama and challenges, triumphs and tragedies that we all face, always being tortured in some small way by how different and separate his is and no one else even realizes.

I realize Smallville deviated quite a bit from the comics, especially around seasons 4 and 5, and they lost viewers because of it (I admit I skipped a few of the ‘Witching’ episodes – Seeing Lana Lang possessed by an ancient spirit or Clark getting chained up half naked by the possessed Lois and Chloe has nothing to do with the Superman Lore and much more to do with the popularity of Charmed, Buffy and Angel at that time) but now they are embracing the lore, the comics, the movies, and tying them in together and I am just giddy with excitement! I am not so completely enamored with it that I don’t find fault, I can be just as critical as I am praising but the common Superman fan is not familiar with the ‘multiverse’ so perhaps they have a bit of trouble accepting the incongruities between Smallville, the comics and the movies. I on the other hand find it titillating, delectable and drawing me deeper and deeper into the storyline. The closer they come in line with ‘cannon’ Superman Lore, the more pleased I am. I even love how the plot line from the Supergirl movie involving Lucy has been shifted to Chloe (as Smallville’s Lucy has already been introduced to us in such a way as to remove her character from the possibility of such a love triangle). Not only does it lend some authenticity to Smallville in general but it cements Chloe into lore by tying her back to an ‘original’ plot line.

Of course, we are talking comic books and things inspired by comic books. I think being a comic book lover is part of the reason I can so readily accept and be entertained by ‘Lois and Clark’ just as easily as I can ‘Superboy’. No other Superman TV show has tried so hard and achieved so well as Smallville at tying itself together with threads of the original stories from the comic books, the movies and the other T.V. shows, though most heavily drawing on the films. I love how everything overlaps. I love the tiny Easter eggs that are left for the Superman fans that the fans who’s introduction to Clark Kent was through Smallville will most likely never catch unless they read about it on a blog or review somewhere. I love so many things about Smallville but most of all, at least for now, I’m really enjoying Tom Welling.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:10 pm

Christopher Heyerdahl guest starred on Smallville this week as Kal El's uncle, Kara's father. For those of you who may not recognize this handsome man, most recently he appeared very bald and scarred as a time jumping psycho on Sanctuary.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:14 pm

Was he bald in that episode? Or just short hair. Couldn't tell
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:25 pm

VERY VERY Short, not bald.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:50 pm

You know what has amazed me is the fact that Dk somehow manged to convince Chris to shave his long hair off. If he even did for sanctuary in the first place....
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:14 pm

Well, I saw him in Psyche and The Dead Zone before Sanctuary launched and he had the long hair in both of those. He's been playing a a wraithe in new episodes of Atlantis SO it makes you wonder if he's been keeping busy as an 'extra' while hanging out around Vancouver to play Zor El on Smallville. Hmm... Then again, all of Atlantis has been shot and is in post production or in the can so who knows what was actually filmed first.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:16 pm

Yeah, go figure, Zor El was a nut job, too! The only character I've seen him play that wasn't a total whack was on Atlantis and even then, I suspected there was something Hinky going on. *crosses arms and tries to give a stern look at Christopher Heyerdahl* Still, there's something about a bad boy. It's all fun and games until he turns murderous.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Dementi » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:44 pm

ravenkai wrote: It's all fun and games until he turns murderous.

And then it's time to pull out the popcorn.
Dementi

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:14 am

Dementi wrote:
ravenkai wrote: It's all fun and games until he turns murderous.

And then it's time to pull out the popcorn.

Exactly!

Guess I need to start the 'demo' reel of CH showing all of his crazy dangerous moments. Mwahahaha!
Raven Kai
Administrator

Re: Smallville

New postby Raven Kai » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:47 pm

So, erm, I know I'm the only one who really watches Smallville here but I just had to share how excited I was about this. I got to talk to Steph Song about playing Roulette on Smallville next Friday, October 23. Here's the interview: http://uberscifigeek.com/?p=6931

AND Emilie Ullerup will be on October 30 as Cat Grant.

WOOT!!!
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:59 am

Don't worry Raven, Smallville is on the "one day" list..

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:58 pm

So, who watched? Who watched?
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:16 pm

not me cos i still need to start from the begining yet. Was it good? More importantly was Emilie awesome? STupid thing to say of course she was...

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:04 pm

She was awesome. It was only 1 scene (technically) but there is definitely room for her to come back so *fingers crossed* She looked really great, too. On one of the Smallville forums, they were commenting as they watched the show and someone was like, "Who's the new HOT Chick!?!?" and "OMG HER TEETH ARE SO WHITE!" lol.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:34 pm

thats awesome.. how could people not like/ love her??

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:29 am

It was a great scene, a great character for her, but the scene, however cute it was, was eclipsed by the final scene of the episode so that's what people are mostly talking about, not Clark's date with Cat.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:18 am

bugger..

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:34 pm

Don't get me wrong... I understand why. I rewatched the final scene about 5 times, too. :D
Raven Kai
Administrator

Return to TV and Web Series