Torchwood

Here's the place to discuss science fiction and fantasy TV and Web series, plus their characters, actors, and crew.

Torchwood

New postby Pegasus Angel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:53 am

I can't be the only person who likes Torchwood?

I've only just started watching this (on epi9), yes I know I'm behind the times when it comes to watching series, but meh there was nothing else on so we started watching it...and it's pretty damn good tbh!! I'm glad it's set in Wales, makes a nice change (Oh and in the Dr. Who universe).

What I was initially shocked about was the fact that the BBC are showing 'mature' content, coz you know the Beeb (in the UK) have a reputation for being a bit boring and behind the times, but Torchwood blows that concept out of the window. I love all the sexual openness, lets say, as it is something that other series don't really go into and I'm sure if they did, wouldn't do justice like Torchwood do. It's about time someone dared to explore this kind of theme...

I salute the Torchwood team :D

I've got the rest of the season to watch, and S2 is starting in a few days, the trailers look awesome and James Marsters is in the first epi...*woo*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-5xg1h16Vg <<<S2 Preview... :D
Pegasus Angel

New postby Aaron_0105 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:09 am

They Had that here in Aus for a bit but since i work at night and my dvr had busted i missed it. But have heard nothing but good things about it. Maybe i should add that to the growing list of Dvd box sets to buy..
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Pegasus Angel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:23 am

Definitely try and get hold of the series, it's well worth it... :D
Pegasus Angel

New postby Dementi » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:08 am

Torchwood has defiantly peeked my interest.

Having said that...it is currently airing on BBC America and CBC in Canada. There is a great site for it on the BBC alas you have to live in the UK! :cry:

On another note Season One is available for pre-order on both Amazon.com (about $55 USD) and Amazon.ca (about $69 Cdn), available for sale as of Jan. 22nd 2008.
I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream.
Dementi

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:50 pm

I have seen all of season 1. I am still undecided about how much I like it. While I don't have a problem with mature themes, at times I feel like the subtext became plot and the plot became subtext - gratuatous? Anyway, I love that it ties into the Doctor Who universe and explains a few things from the end of Doctor Who this season (nice crossovers, lots of 'easter eggs, attention to detail, etc) and I plan to watch next season but I can't say I'd try really hard to go out of my way to see it. It's not just the sex that puts me off but the lack of moral. I can't really give specific examples without giving away spoilers but I guess I would have to point out that The Doctor, while sometimes causing the problems to begin with, is constantly dedicating his life (and sometimes loosing it) for the sake of humanity (and non-humanity as well), so often selfless where as the Torchwood team seem primarily self-centered in their motivations, not thinking through consequences of their actions. Then again, I guess that's because they are human and The Doctor is not. My primary interest is in fleshing out the Doctor Who universe, just as I got my hands on Infinite Quest (cartoon) and have several episodes of Sarah Jane (still working on the rest). I would like to subscribe to the comic book and get my hands on the novels. I"m also working on getting every episide since the very first doctor. So, as a whole it is an incredibly well done show, well written, well acted, well produced but I haven't quite found myself 'invested' into the characters. Hopefully, season 2 will change that for me. ;)
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Pegasus Angel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:39 am

How many episodes are there in Torchwood? 13??

Raven, I can appreciate your point of view, and maybe they're not necessarily sending the right messages, hopefully S2 will be more relaxed in the overly strong content side of things...
Pegasus Angel

New postby Raven Kai » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:43 am

Yes, there are 13 episodes in the first season. I understand that is the standard in UK? I hope season 2 does show them to be better people, having learned from their mistakes. We need heroes, people we can look up to, look to for an example. Not perfect, not supermen but someone who would lay down their life for the sake of a stranger because it was the right thing to do. Maybe I just have too high of expectations but I think kids and young adults are greatly effected by what they see and the television, film, gaming and music industry have a chance to make a positive change for future generations.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:14 am

So torchwood is an offshoot of the Doc Who saga?
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Pegasus Angel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:53 am

It is set in the Dr. Who universe, but in Cardiff, Wales (some pretty cool accents going on there).

Captain Jack Harkness appeared in the first season of Dr. Who, and I believe he has been in S2 and S3, though I've not seen them yet.
Pegasus Angel

New postby Victoria Winters » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:29 am

Dearest Ravenkai, perhaps the Torchwood team is trying to get something on the soap opera crowd? Sexy sexy! :twisted:
Any view of things that is not strange, is false.
Victoria Winters

New postby Raven Kai » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:11 pm

Yes, Jack does pop up in Doctor Who every now and then. He even has an AMAZING role in a Season 3 episode. I'm not crazy about Ct. Jack the way some people are but the end of Season 3 he won me over a little bit. If you watch Doctor Who, you will notice 'Torchwood' shows up over and over again as a secret organization that was started when the royal family became --- ooh, Spoiler, I guess I shouldn't say that. LOL ;) Okay, so Torchwood has been mentioned offhand on several occassion, figured in sereveral important episodes and now the series is about that same organization now being run by Jack.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Pegasus Angel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:11 am

I just watched the episode 'Out of Time' and can't say agree with what Jack let the old guy do, I mean I think that was going a bit far, and really didn't send the right message to 'confused and/or depressed' people... :(
Pegasus Angel

New postby Raven Kai » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:22 am

*nods in agreement* Not only that but you are beginning to see what Gwen is doing in her relationship. There are so many people around the world who are in sesative positions that find a way to be honest with their spouse without comprimising their work. She may not be able to tell him what is going on but she isn't doing anything buy lying to him (not to mention other things) and that really isn't fair of her to treat him that way. By this point you are really beginning to see WHO people are (no pun intended) and I am left wondering, do I have any respect for them?
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Pegasus Angel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:28 am

I agree. At this point I think it's only Toshiko who hasn't actually done anything that wrong, other than to fall in love with the wrong person...
Pegasus Angel

New postby Dementi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:07 am

Spoilers, spoilers....AGH...runs away!
Dementi

New postby Pegasus Angel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:24 am

Sorry I was trying to say as little as possible so as not to give away too much. :(

I just watched episodes 11 & 12, very interesting I must say...Toshiko actually questions the morality of one particular bit, but you know I think Jack thinks it is for the 'greater' good...not that that makes things ok, but it must be his perspective...
Pegasus Angel

New postby Dementi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:14 pm

No worries...I skip over the stuff that I don't want to read....all good!
Dementi

New postby Raven Kai » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:52 pm

Once you get to the last episode, let me know. You said you haven't seen season 2 and 3 of Doctor Who? Wow you must catch up. There's a torchwood tie in on Doctor Who that you must see.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Pegasus Angel » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:11 pm

ravenkai wrote:Once you get to the last episode, let me know. YOu said you haven't seen season 2 and 3 of Doctor Who? Wow you must catch up. There's a torchwood tie in on Doctor Who that you must see.

Yeah I gotta catch up! Just watched the last epi and realized about the tie in. I actually really liked the episode, it was very emotional, great acting by Eve Myles!!
Pegasus Angel

New postby Pegasus Angel » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:47 pm

OMG I realized I missed the last 3 episodes of Dr. Who S1 and they have Jack in them! Watched epi 11 tonight! *slaps self*

Got S2 of Dr. Who to watch while I acquire S2 of Torchwood...
Pegasus Angel

New postby Aaron_0105 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:51 pm

uh oh, Raven is going to be so disappointed in you.........

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Pegasus Angel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:43 am

Ha watched them b4 she could comment :D

Oh no, they left poor Jack behind in Bad Wolf!!

I'm still confused about the hand in Torchwood, did I miss something or has it not happened yet? I've now got S2 and 3 of Dr. Who, but no time to watch!
Pegasus Angel

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:32 pm

PA, the hand is an Easter Egg ----- it's explained in Doctor Who. *grins evily*
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Pegasus Angel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:04 pm

Ah, now I get it :? :?: :lol:
Pegasus Angel

New postby Pegasus Angel » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:50 am

Did anyone else notice that Torchwood has started again??? :D
Pegasus Angel

New postby Raven Kai » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:14 pm

Yes, I intend to see the first 2 episodes this weekend. :) Yay

It should help me with my Whojonesing.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:05 pm

your what?

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby SanctuarySarah » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:04 am

Yay Torchwood!
I love that show.
Did anyone else cry for the thing in the warehouse in eppy 2?.....or was that just sad little old me? :?
Today,my friend,your diary entry will read:
"Took prozzie hostage and was shot by 3 armed bastards!" ~~ Gene Hunt in Ashes to Ashes.
SanctuarySarah

New postby Raven Kai » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:12 am

Aaron_0105 wrote:your what?

whojonesing - Jonesing being a slang phrase for suffering withdraw as if from a drug, ya know, shaking, tremmers, cold sweats. ;) I'm jonesing for my Doctor. :P

And Sarah, No, you aren't the only one. I cried too and when Jack did, it made me like him just a little bit more. As Gwen said, 'so you do have a heart'.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Pegasus Angel » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:17 am

I got the first 3 epi's to watch this weekend if I have time... *hearts Jack*
Pegasus Angel

Next

Return to TV and Web Series