Star Trek XI

Here's the place to discuss science fiction and fantasy films, plus their characters, actors, and crew.

Star Trek XI

New postby Raven Kai » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:50 am

I don't know if you guys have heard this already or not but I thought I would share. Zachary Quinto has been cast as the young Spock in the new J.J. Abrams piloted Star Trek movie. Leonard Nimoy will appear as his older self according to IMDB.com For you Xena: Warrior Princess and Lord Of The Rings Fans, Karl Urbanwill be playing the young "Bones" and the infamous "Shaun Of The Dead" Simon Pegg has been cast as Scotty. Harold of Harold & Kumar go to White Castle, John Cho, has been cast as Sulu. Winona Ryder has been cast as Spock's mother, Amanda Grayson.
Last edited by Raven Kai on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Pegasus Angel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:56 am

Cool, great stuff!! Really looking forward to it now!!! 8)
Pegasus Angel

New postby Dementi » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Another favorite for some is making an appearance it the movie as well...for me it's two.

TrekMovie.com wrote:Exclusive: Paul McGillion Talks Star Trek (and Gate) February 22, 2008
by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: General Sci-Fi, ST09 Cast , trackback

Last September TrekMovie.com first broke the news that Stargate Atlantis actor Paul McGillion auditioned for the role of Scotty in the new Star Trek. After Simon Pegg got the job we were happy to report that Paul still landed a different (albeit smaller) role in the film. This week Paul talked to TrekMovie.com about his audition and his time on the new Star Trek as well as his impending return to Stargate.

TrekMovie.com: When your character was written off of Stargate Atantis during the 3rd season, it sparked a fan campaign, something well-known to Trekkies. What was that like for you?

Paul McGillion: Overwhelming! It was crazy. When I initially started doing Stargate I was cast as a recurring character and I think the fan base were so behind Carson that the producers saw that in the first season so they made him a regular part of the show in the second season. I think a lot of that had to do with the fan response and so I am very grateful for that. I never fully grasped the magnitude of sci-fi fans until Stargate Atlantis. There was a rally for me at the studio in Los Angeles with hundreds of people in the pouring rain with a pipe band playing and a bunch of girls flashing Carson Beckett on their butts. It was flattering and overwhelming.

TrekMovie.com: So you attributed the campaign for being brought back again as a recurring character in seasons four and five?

Paul McGillion: I think the producers listen to the fans. Anyone who makes a show will pay attention to the fan base. They were getting inundated with letters and calls. People make changes in shows for dramatic effect and I understand that. I did the character for three seasons and they decided that it was time for the character to bow out and that is the way it goes in the business.

TrekMovie.com: Speaking of ‘coming back’ you have two episodes coming up soon, what can you tell us about your come back?

Paul McGillion: Yes I am in the final two episodes of the season. Friday the 22nd is "Kindred Part 1" and part 2 is the following week. I can’t tell you much about them except to say that I do come back. It is a great reveal and its clever with the way they have done it. It does have something to do with previous episodes of Atlantis and there is a connection there. “Kindred Part 2″ is a heavy episode for Carson and I think the fans are going to love it, especially the ’save Carson Beckett’ fans who spent so much time to get the character back. He is a character that wears his heart on his sleeve and I think a lot of fans can relate to the guy and it is a nice tip of the hat to the fans.

TrekMovie.com: Regarding season five, I understand you start shooting soon. What can you tell us about that and are your episodes bunched up or spread out?

Paul McGillion: I can’t tell you anything about season five because I really don’t know that much about what they have planned. I just got the first draft of the first script and they might kill me again if I tell you [laughs] I will be back for at least five episodes and I believe it will be peppered throughout the year, they will not be consecutive.

TrekMovie.com: OK now moving on to Trek. When you auditioned for Scotty in Star Trek, did you do ‘Carson’ or did you do ‘Doohan’ or did you do something different?

Paul McGillion: I never did Doohan doing Scotty. I was born in Scotland so I can do many variations of the Scottish accent. I think Carson has what my mom would say is a ‘Kelvin side’ accent which is a little more high brow than my interpretations of Scotty was. Scotty is an engineer and is more blue collar than Carson and so I gave it that twist.

TrekMovie.com: Is that something they asked for?

Paul McGillion: No, they just wanted a Scottish accent. My manager had sent in my tape which starts off with Scottish scenes and they called and said they wanted to see me. For me that was great. Ever since I started to do Carson people have asked me if I would ever want to play Scotty and I always said ‘Absolutely!’ What a great iconic character. It was a thrill to have the opportunity to read for it and as an actor you put your own twist on it. Obviously I would have loved to have gotten that role. But Simon [Pegg] is a terrific actor. I loved him in Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead; and I think he will do a terrific job. I am not one of those actors that gets all worked up. For me I applaud anyone who gets any role. I think that you just do your best and champion those who get the roles. It is a great opportunity for anyone and I am very happy for him. Obviously it would have been great to play Scotty, but at the same time even being part of the movie was a pleasure.

TrekMovie.com: Picking up on that. What can you tell us about the role you did get in the movie? And how long did you work on it?

Paul McGillion: As you know I have signed pages of confidentiality clauses. I can say that I had a scene with Kirk [Chris Pine] and that was pretty of cool. And I am not a ‘red shirt’ so there you go. I was around for about a week.

TrekMovie.com: What was it like on the set and working with JJ Abrams?

Paul McGillion: Well [First A.D] Tommy Gormley is from Glasgow and it was a great environment. And I can’t say enough about JJ. When I got to the set he came right up to me and said "Paul thank you so much for doing this, sorry I couldn’t give you anything bigger but I wanted to have you in the movie and the fans love you. But I had Simon in mind" And I was like ‘Wow.’ He really doesn’t have to say any of that. It really shows you that nice guys can get ahead too. From the short time I spent with him I really can’t say enough good things about him. There is a reason he does so well. He sets a tone for a really great environment and hopefully that will turn into a great movie.

TrekMovie.com: So besides the Star Treks and Gates, what else have you been working on lately?

Paul McGillion: I just finished up a play in Vancouver called "Reservation for Four." And I have a film coming out in early March with Melora Hardin, who plays Jan on The Office. I play her husband in that, no Scottish accent, it is a drama Lifetime movie. It is about divorce and its called "Me, Mom, Dad and Her."

TrekMovie.com: By the way, another Star Trek/Stargate crossover is coming up with Voyager’s Bob Picard joining the cast of Stargate Atlantis.

Paul McGillion: Yah he’s a great guy. I have worked with him once or twice. He is really nice to work with and I am really happy he is coming to the show. I also had a great time hanging with him and Jonathan Frakes and the other Trek people at FedCon in Germany last year. Actually I think I am the only one from Stargate main cast that’s ever crossed over the other way and gone from Stargate to Star Trek, which is kind of cool.

A final note…After finishing the interview Paul went out of his way to say how much he appreciated all support he has got from the Stargate and Star Trek fans and he wanted to be sure the fans knew he thanks them.
I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream.
Dementi

Re: Star Trek XI

New postby Aaron_0105 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:05 am

3 months to go!!!!! WEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby kingfelic » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:19 pm

lol, i've been following thi ever since i found out there was going to be a film in my first year, and when i heard quinto was going to play spock! heheh! sooo wooo, can't wait!
Geek: slang term, noting individuals as "a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc." Formerly, the term referred to a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken, bat, snake or bugs. The 1976 edition of the American Heritage Dictionary included only the definition regarding geek shows.
kingfelic

New postby kingfelic » Sat May 09, 2009 7:13 pm

Okay, so i saw this just a couple hours ago, and i love, love, loved it! But i also hate it. I want to say why on each but that involves me spoiling things and i just can't do that, lol.
Geek: slang term, noting individuals as "a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc." Formerly, the term referred to a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken, bat, snake or bugs. The 1976 edition of the American Heritage Dictionary included only the definition regarding geek shows.
kingfelic

New postby Aaron_0105 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:19 pm

Well i'm going to see it on tuesday morning so i'll get back to you on that and we can have a discussion about it if you Felicia? We can just put spoiler tags at the beginning..
Here in Australia the critics have been giving it 10/10.. Even some of the trekkies said it was good. so it must be good right?
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby kingfelic » Sat May 09, 2009 8:25 pm

oh it's definitely good, awesome actually, but like i said, i loved it... but there's just something about it that swings me the other way at the same time.
kingfelic

New postby Aaron_0105 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:32 pm

Cos it wasn't the same people playing the same characters as the orginals series?

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby kingfelic » Sun May 10, 2009 9:31 am

No it's not that... I love everything about the actor choices (lol even leonard Nimoy), characters, the story, everything... and i like how J.J Abrams changed it to bring other viewers to it, but the feel is just not entirely star trek, especially in some music choices... but if you know star trek (any incarnation/series) pretty well, you expect something to happen that doesn't but should. But it could be just me as I'm just being very picky.
kingfelic

New postby Aaron_0105 » Sun May 10, 2009 5:41 pm

Ok then, i'll take your word for it, and i'll be back tomorrow with my verdict.

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Sun May 10, 2009 6:45 pm

I'm going to try to go see it Thursday when Chris gets out of school. The theatre is an hour's drive away and it's the only day off I have to take him that we dont' have other obligations. :? I'll peek back in here after that if we make it.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Sun May 10, 2009 10:16 pm

Good Luck! I hope you make it! Nothing short of the theatre burning down is gonna keep me from seeing this!

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Telkesh » Mon May 11, 2009 5:44 pm

I saw it yesterday. I loved it.

I have seen most of TNG, ALL of Voyager and I even own the entire DS9 series. But I never touched TOS. So i was able to go into this movie with a clear mind free of bias. And as a sci-fi fan I loved it.

I knew enough of the series to pick up the injokes (Redshirts :D) and the catchphrases "Good God, man. I'm a doctor, not an astrophysicist!) Althoguh i thought Bones did say good god, man ALOT!

Scotty was a character I wasn't sure of. Because I wanted Paul to play him. But I think Simon Pegg was a better choice he had me in stitches every time he was on screen, as did Bones (Paul would of made a good bones)

I loved the plot. The characters and everything in this movie. If you're not a die hard original trekkie who'll be angry at the changes (big and small) in the movie then you will enjoy it. I give it a 10/10 easily.*

*Proof that the movie is good: I'm going to go buy it on DVD when it's out. Not download it.. buy it. That's huge for me, lol.
:-:Smile - It may seem dark now, but a new dawn will come. Dawn always comes:-:
Telkesh

New postby Aaron_0105 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:25 pm

Ok i don't know jack about Star Trek but enough that i got most of the jokes as well, maybe not all of them but hopefully enough..
I'm with you felica, something was missing, but i don't know what it is and i can probably put that down as to not being a Star Trek fan in the first place.
Still lol when Scotty yelled out his customary phrase when asked for more speed..
I'll prpbably download it and buy it on Blu-ray when it comes out. to impatient. I missed mot of the dialogue cos of my hearing. so i'll watch it with subs when it's available.

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Aaron_0105 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:39 pm

ok i've got one biggie about this film and hopefully someone can explain it to me.. And forgive me if i appear ignorant but most of you know i'm hard of hearing so i'm sure i must of missed the explaination somwhere along the line.

I have seen a sign saying Captain James T. Kirk will be born here in the year... I can't remember the year or the name of the town, but to me that suggests it was mentioned somewhere in the original tv series or one of the early movies.
But he was born on the escape pod when the USS KELVIN was under attack..
Someone give me a hand?

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Telkesh » Wed May 13, 2009 8:04 pm

This post contains
SPOILERS.......... duh

In short: Alternate timeline. The entire series of events, in effect the entire franchise from here on out takes place in an alternate timeline then the Original Series, due to Nero's manipulations of events.
He attacked the USS Kelvin which changed Kirk's timeline. We're not sure what the Kelvin was doing before it intercepted the storm. It could of been on it's way to Earth where Kirk's mother would of delivered. Or the attack on the ship could of set off labour.
:-:Smile - It may seem dark now, but a new dawn will come. Dawn always comes:-:
Telkesh

New postby Aaron_0105 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:01 am

Yeah thats what i deducted when we saw the old Spock. Awesome thanks for clearing that up..
I bet that pissed a few die hard trekkie fans off though.

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby kingfelic » Fri May 15, 2009 10:21 am

lol, well to some people possibly, but if you know star trek well enough that something like this is logical and acceptable and i love all theses things. The only thing that is odd about the story is that the boy young kirk drives by was originally suppose to be his older brother, but they changed it, which they shouldn't of cause now you're left confused as to where his brother was growing up. oh well... i'm going to see it again so maybe i'll figure out stuff i missed the first time... and wont be as picky this time.
kingfelic

New postby Aaron_0105 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:51 pm

Someone i know posted over in another forum i'm on and he said now the old cannon is out the window now cos of this new movie.. everything that has gone before it is totally irrelevant now... Thats kinda cool isn't it? Now they can redo everything in the Star Trek universe entirely different! I reckon we could see a new series coming on with in the next decade i reckon..

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby kingfelic » Mon May 25, 2009 8:21 pm

Hmmm, I really hope that it doesn't go back to tv. At least not yet anyways. Perhaps when it's been an entire decade since enterprise ended 'cause each series got less and less interesting cause stories were being over used, and that might happen with a new series. I would like to see more films every so often (most likely there will be and the new stories would be great to see). Maybe a series later, but one that wasn't based around the enterprise crew, perhaps another one that has been referenced in past series and films. That way it will be fresh, new, unique. I just don't think tv is yet ready for a new series. The gap between ToS and TNG proved very well that a good gap and timing made TNG such a great reinvention, everything fresh, new, & unique. Seeing as there wasn't really any or none when it came to TNG over to DS9, then over to VOY... the writers just seemed to get lazier...still good stories, they just were running out of ideas. And Enterprise which didn't come out long after VOY ended had dragging boring stories. They just need to wait for a better crop of writers like Orci and Kurtzman who actually understand star trek.

If you think about it, star trek has been either made as a show, movie, or a spin off in every decade since it's first episode in 1966.

But like always this is just my opinion, and that I think it just needs to be eased in and not rushed as it's been proven. (ex. Enterprise and the stupid never ending zindi plot line)

*thinks to herself that she didn't realize how much of a star trek nerd she was until after reading what she wrote*
kingfelic

New postby Victoria Winters » Tue May 26, 2009 9:35 am

I too think they would have to find some very fresh ideas to do another Star Trek tv show, Kingfelic.
It would be difficult and challengeing to make it interesting and not repetitive.
Any view of things that is not strange, is false.
Victoria Winters

New postby Aaron_0105 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:27 pm

If they did start a new series they could take the easy way out and just redo nearly all of the stories all over again.. and say its brand new! hope it doesn't come to that.

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Pegasus Angel » Fri May 29, 2009 9:23 am

DLed it and watched it, LOVED IT, following week went to the cinema to watch it, it ROCKED!!! We have a very small cinema in Gib and the sound system is MEGA so our seats were vibrating a LOT!! Loved all of it, even the romance stuff which I hear many didn't like as it wasn't true to the original...but hey...

Woohoo for Paul McGillion's line! :mrgreen:
Pegasus Angel

New postby Aaron_0105 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:06 pm

i was surprised at that... didn't know if they had anything going on in the orginal. obvisouly not..

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Pegasus Angel » Sat May 30, 2009 10:51 pm

Well apparently not, I don't think TPTB saw his as a sex symbol in those days, it was all about Jim!

However in this movie as it was an altered reality, I guess they felt they could add a little spark of romance...
Pegasus Angel

New postby Aaron_0105 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:08 am

it was altered reality! they could do anything they wanted!!!

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Sun May 31, 2009 7:36 am

Well, all of the events that formed these people were changed from the moment Kirk was born. They are different people then those we knew or at least as different as circumstances changing make us. Many people are very upset about the changes and the 'throwing away' the old history but one of the recurring themes in every incarnation of Star Trek was alternate time lines, mirror universes, temporal shifts... so in my humble opinion, this is a perfect fit with the 'cannon' of the original series. It's just that unlike previous times, the time/universe traveler (our Spock) doesn't go home.

It doesn't erase the old story or history. We are just looking in a different window now.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby kingfelic » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:02 pm

Well said Raven, well said indeed. I agree with you on what you said.

So after watching it the second time... i was perfectly fine! No issues with it the second time round. I took m brother, and he lit up like a christmas tree, so excited, and we both laughed about the admiral Archer part with the beagel cause it made us think of Cpt. Archer, but no one is sure if they are one in the same, cause if so He would of been a very very very old man.

Even though their backstories all had changed, ultimately in the end, they all ended up where they belonged. It was like fait and destiny were still they same in the end for them, it was just the road to get there had changed, detoured if you must say.

But with this new time line, It wouldn't hurt to see a certain blonde... later to be a doctor in molecular biology...one said dr Marcus... Would be interesting to see if they would still hook up or not, and to actually see it happen... lol, i've been watch Wrath of Khan way too much lately...
kingfelic

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:28 pm

lol. Carol Marcus! :D That would be interesting. :) To that end, what about the Botany Bay? Seti Alpha 5 and Seti Alpha 6? :o The big 'genetic incident' that changed the Klingon race? So many events that may be different as a response to the destruction of Vulcan and the lives that were lost when Nero paid a visit...
Raven Kai
Administrator

Next

Return to Films