Metropolis (Remake)

Here's the place to discuss science fiction and fantasy films, plus their characters, actors, and crew.

Metropolis (Remake)

New postby Raven Kai » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:18 pm

Metropolis To Be Remade

Producer Thomas Schuehly (Alexander) has acquired the remake rights to Fritz Lang's classic SF movie Metropolis and is partnering with Mario Kassar on an updated version of the 1927 movie, Variety reported.

The Munich-based Schuehly and Kassar are currently in negotiations with a number of top directors to helm the movie, with a final decision expected in the next few months.

Schuehly obtained the rights to the film from Vienna-based publishing group Sessler Verlag.

Metropolis is one of the most groundbreaking films in cinematic history; its influence informed classic works throughout the 20th century, including James Whale's Frankenstein, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Gattaca and The Matrix, the trade paper reported.

Considered one of the most expensive films of its time, Metropolis is set in 2026 in a massive city-state characterized by monumental skyscrapers and art-deco architecture.

The film, which is listed on the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization's World Register as part of Germany's documentary heritage, depicts the class struggle between the wealthy society of planners and thinkers, who live in luxury high above the Earth, and the workers, who live underground, toiling to sustain the lives of the privileged.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:53 am

Oh that sounds good. I'm sorry to say i have never heard of the original. Must make amends for that. Wonder were in the world i could find it.
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:47 pm

Hmmm. I have no idea where you would get your hands on that priceless classic! :twisted:
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:50 pm

spill!
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:26 pm

Honestly, it should be at ANY vid store with clasic movies. If it's not, let me know. It is from 1927 and the visuals in it are iconic so I am sure you will recognize parts of it without ever knowing what it was from.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Dementi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:47 am

hmm...
I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream.
Dementi

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:11 pm

I can't help but think she was the inspiration for the Cybermen in Doctor Who!
Last edited by Raven Kai on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:41 am

ravenkai wrote:I can't help but think she was the inspiration for the Cybermen in Doctor Who!

I can't help but think she was the inspiration for a lot of "Cyberpeople" in any movie!

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:55 am

Yes, considering she's had over 80 years to inspire people! *Grin* Suddenly I have Queens' album cover in my head!
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Victoria Winters » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Yes!!!!! :D There she is, "False Maria"!! If anyone would like to know, that actress in the robot suit was 16 at the time.
On my computer desky here I have an action figure of the False Maria sitting on her 'throne of making' with a Cyberman attendant.
Soooooo happy!!! I love the original film, even used it as an example in marketing class!!
Find it yet Aaron?
Any view of things that is not strange, is false.
Victoria Winters

New postby Aaron_0105 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:53 pm

Nope, the local video store doesn't have it, going to have a look a bit farther out. Could jump online to see but i'd rather buy it locally this once.

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:11 pm

I prefer to buy around town as well but not always easy. Like for instance, A Dogs Breakfast. I swear I will never find it anywhere but online. :D
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby kingfelic » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:06 pm

OOO! I had to watch that for my film criticism course in my first year of t.v. It was really good for it's time, but i learned not to watch it late at night when tired, lol. But a remake of that is surely interesting, but I would like to see it as close as possible to the original, because it will not be good if it is not.

It really opens your eyes to the world.
Geek: slang term, noting individuals as "a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc." Formerly, the term referred to a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken, bat, snake or bugs. The 1976 edition of the American Heritage Dictionary included only the definition regarding geek shows.
kingfelic

Return to Films