The Warlord

Here's the place to discuss science fiction and fantasy comic books, graphic novels, and online comics, plus their artists and writers.

The Warlord

New postby Raven Kai » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:05 pm

Ah! One of my earliest true loves! Of course, the first was Kal El but Travis Morgan was second, most definitely. The Warlord followed the adventures of U.S. Air Force pilot Lt. Col. Travis Morgan as his jet was shot down while over the frozen wastes above a cold-war era Russia. He finds himself in a new Lost World of the kind written about by Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, H. Rider Haggard and the other dynamic fantasy and science fiction writers of the 1800s and early 1900s. I learned to draw greatly due to this buff loin-cloth clad hero, sword in one hand and a magnum in the other. While I was extremely irritated about the 2006 attempt at completely ruining the original story line, I am still hopelessly enamored with the original series. While I have not unpacked my collection in many years for various reasons, I do believe I still own all but a small hand-full of these stories. While the art work and hero was visually pleasing and what caught my attention to begin with, it was the idea of this world’s possible existence that really drew me in. The plot revolved around the Hollow Earth theory. As a result of reading this series, I spent a lot of time trying to track down the accounts cited in the 1st issue author’s notes (or was it the first issue special? I really need to track down all my comics.) which was not easy for a young girl to do in a small town library pre-internet! I did manage to find some UFO magazines with photos of “Mars’ Hollow Pole Revealed!” I would still love to get my hands on some of these books and magazines that I’ve only just hear about and never actually had a chance to read.

LONG LIVE MIKE GRELL!

Raven Kai
Administrator

Re: The Warlord

New postby Dementi » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:10 pm

cool
I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream.
Dementi

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Did I mention that I met Mike Grell at Comic Con? Did I mention I totally became a blubbering idiot when I saw him? I cried so hard I had to walk away so he wouldn't see me. *embarassed* There's a longer story then that and i keep meaning to tell it but I just haven't had a chance to yet.

Mike Grell .... He's the reason I started drawing. *wipes tears* What an awsome guy.

I am NOT a fan girl. I don't get bent out of shape over things. I mean, I was surrounded by hundreds of actors, artists, writers, etc. I was talking to some of them, interviewing some of them, with complete calm and ease. And then, I saw Mike....

I had no idea I felt so strongly.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:56 pm

You? A fan girl? i would find that hard to believe in the first place anyway.
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:05 pm

I know, seriously.

I think it's because drawing means soooo much to me and I lost the ability for so long. When I was younger, knowing I had a talent within me but being unable to draw from it, I was frustrated. I cursed myself and said that it hurt too much, that it would be better to have no gift at all then to be taunted by having it and not being able to use it. Then the accident happened and for nearly 3 years, I couldn't use it. I would spend hours drawing, or trying to, and page after page would be crumpled and tossed aside as I sobbed at my loss. I begged for it back, that it didn't matter if I never made a dime off of any of my art, I just wanted to be able to do it again... and then I could.

Mike Grell embodies that for me... that drive and desire to draw. I draw people. I learned it from him. He didn't just captivate me because of the artistic realism that was not present in his contemporaries' work but with the story he told. He was telling sword and sorcery fantasies in a time that the art of story was dying out and heroes were changing to more contemporary and recognizable characters.

So, fan girl, I guess I am. I am who i am because of him. He's probably been more influential in my life then any other man with the only exception of my Grandfather.

I'm going to draw him a gift, to thank him. Now, I just need the time to do so.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Victoria Winters » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:40 pm

I know I'd have the same reaction if it had been Frank Frazetta sitting there, even without your losses and gains Raven, dearest.
Any view of things that is not strange, is false.
Victoria Winters

New postby Raven Kai » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:11 pm

Ooooh... Frank is pretty awsome. I'm thinking he might have been there but maybe it was just a booth promoting his stuff. As far as I know, I did not see him. but it would have been cool. :)
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Victoria Winters » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:19 pm

I know his health is rather crummy so it was probably his work and not him there himself. He is an old type person now, but he's my favourite. :)
Victoria Winters

New postby Raven Kai » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:46 pm

Hhmm. If I come across my posters when I go through my stuff, I'll send them to you. I've got a stack of classic LOTR and other fantasy posters packed away somewhere. :)
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Victoria Winters » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:08 pm

I would enjoy that Raven dearest. If you are sure you'd really want to part with them that is.
Victoria Winters

New postby Raven Kai » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:49 pm

They've been packed away for about 6 years. If I find them, um... I think I don't really want them THAT bad if I kept them packed for that long without displaying them. :P
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Victoria Winters » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:47 am

If you locate and then send them to me, later, when you have a new home, if you find a good place for them there, I would return them to you. :)
Victoria Winters

Return to Comics