Superman Turns 70

Here's the place to discuss science fiction and fantasy comic books, graphic novels, and online comics, plus their artists and writers.

Superman Turns 70

New postby Raven Kai » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:02 am

AFP wrote:Superman, the septuagenarian original comic book superhero

by Luis Torres de la Llosa
Sat Jun 14, 3:02 AM ET

NEW YORK (AFP) - Superman, the original comic book superhero, turns 70 this month, but his strength and invulnerability draws fewer fans in the 21st century world of flawed, postmodern heroes.

An indisputable icon of American pop culture, the Man of Steel made his first appearance in the June 1938 issue of "Action Comics." He is the brainchild of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, residents of the midwestern town of Cleveland, Ohio.

Superman can fly in the sky, but he's not a bird or a plane. He's faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

About 1.9 meters (six feet, three inches) tall and weighing some 102 kilos (225 pounds), Superman has blue eyes, black hair and is a mild-mannered reporter working at the "Daily Planet" newspaper under the alias Clark Kent. He was born on the planet Krypton, exiled to Earth as an infant, and for decades has been fighting for Truth, Justice and the American Way.

...snip...

"Superman has endured, and will endure, because he is more than just a silly character with his underwear on the outside and a spitcurl," said Ricca. "He is the hope not that we can be rescued, but that we can be good."

*sniff* I have to admit, reading the article brought a tear to my eye. I've been in love with Kal El since I was about 5. I had stickers from my chewing gum/trading card packs on my wall near my head. He was the first person I saw in the morning and the last person I saw at night. He was my hero. I've watched every tv show, cartoon and movie. I read the comics for so many years. They kind of lost me in the early 90s when they changed so much of his character. I'm a comic book dinosaur, prefering the classic heroes to the post-modern flawed ones. Todays comics seem to me that they are niether art nor good story telling. *sigh* Every now and then something is a throwback to the good old art of story telling but mainly, it's just story after story of people with all our flaws, all of our mistakes, all of our greed and selfishness but with cool powers that we always wish we had. Even classic heroes like The Warlord and Turok are irreverently 'revived' and rewritten. The problem with that is their 'grit' was what made them so amazing in the first place and lacking that, there is no appeal, nothing to set them apart from the other post-mod antiheroes. Comics used to help us escape this world or make our own better. Kazar, Warlord and Turok taking us to the center of our own world where dinosaurs still reign. Atari Force took us where we never dreamed existed in the heart of space. Superman brought the heart of the universe to us, to make our world better. What do today's comics give us? Where do they take us? To the confused, chaotic violence, greed and sexual premiscuity that we see every day on our street, on our tvs, in our movies.

Where have all the heroes gone?
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Victoria Winters » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:12 pm

"We're gonna give 'em back there heros!!!" Fiffy from Mad Max. Though still flawed and violent, I'd reason.
Any view of things that is not strange, is false.
Victoria Winters

New postby Aaron_0105 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:19 am

Nothing wrong with The Phantom is there???
Now he is the ultimate super hero.
He isn't super human, he is super Humane....
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:53 am

*flashes Phantom ring*

Phantom is a classic hero. That's the thing, though. They don't make heroes like they used to.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Telkesh » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:42 pm

ravenkai wrote:*flashes Phantom ring*

Phantom is a classic hero. That's the thing, though. They don't make heroes like they used to.

Wow. I'm going to seem really young here. But I hated the phantom. He was nothing. Even the flash was a little better then him.

As for Superman i always felt he was too perfect (Even though Batman can beat him ;)).
But he was the perfect hero in his day, and I agree they screwed around with him too much in the comics. I never really got a chance to read the comics much, but I did pick one up once that made absolutely no sense. It was called superman, but it wasn't him.

What's weird is that Clark Kent turns 70 this month, too.

anyway. Happy Birthday, Old Man.
:-:Smile - It may seem dark now, but a new dawn will come. Dawn always comes:-:
Telkesh

New postby Aaron_0105 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:44 am

Really!?!? I never knew he was the same age!?!?!?
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:54 pm

:D

Geez, thinking of Kal El at 70 makes me wish I had my Kingdom Come* so I could look at that sexy old man. Yummy. I like beards.

*Miss Winters, *sniffs* I no longer have the wonderful gift you gave me. I worked with someone who's brother in law grew up with Alex Ross. She offered to have it autographed for me and before she got it back from him, the sister left the brother in law and I never got my Kingdom Come back even though I tried going through his website to fill them in on what happened. Some guy named Gino said he'd look into it but I never heard anything else. *tears*
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Victoria Winters » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:14 pm

Well F-in Shizit!! Sounds like I've got a mission. :wink:
Victoria Winters

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:29 pm

Victoria Winters wrote:Well F-in Shizit!! Sounds like I've got a mission. :wink:

I appreciate the thought but wasn't the one you gave me a first edition? *sigh* I do keep an eye out for it every time I see graphic novels. I recently aquired (2 days before my accident) a Kazar special I never knew existed and a Wonder Woman 'classical' one that has wonderful Victorian illustrations. I've never seen anything quite like it. Oh yes, that was the same day I got my ElfQuest 4 and Klingon Dictionary.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Victoria Winters » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:26 pm

Yes, it was a first edition. (hehehehehehehe)
Victoria Winters

New postby Raven Kai » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:59 pm

*feels sharp pain in chest at thought of loosing first edition and grabs her chest dramatically*

Seriously, I really wish I had never done it. I would rather have the gift you gave me then a signed first edition, ya know what I mean.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Victoria Winters » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:25 pm

All is not lost. Have hope dearest Raven. :D It wasn't the only copy in the know universe. Thank you for the sweet words.
Victoria Winters

New postby Raven Kai » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:41 pm

*gives you a very big hug*
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Victoria Winters » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:38 pm

Very big hug reciprocated! :)
Victoria Winters

Return to Comics