Wheel of Time

Here's the place to discuss science fiction and fantasy books, plus their authors.

Wheel of Time

New postby Aaron_0105 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:35 pm

Is it just me being behind in the times or is this news common knowledge? I just found out after a visit to my local bookstore that Robert Jordan died on 6th september from a disease in the blood apparently...... And the Wheel of Time series is uncomplete! Did anyone else read these fantastic novels?
11 out of 12! So close!....
Last edited by Aaron_0105 on Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:53 pm

WHAT?! No I didn't hear that! I have not read them all but have been collecting them so that I could read the whole series. Geesh, who can finish it? what author's style is similar enough?
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:59 pm

Who knows? It's going to take ages for whoever is going to choose a new writer, then actually think about it and write it. Apparently Robert Jordan had it all mapped out so that might help them a bit...... It will be like forever before the last one comes out.
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:04 pm

Wow. Like when Brian took over for Frank Herbert. There's also been a few Heinlein books that were finished postumously. Wow. Can't believe he's dead. Guess tomorrow I need to make a trip to Ye Old Bookstore and buy the whole shelf of his books I almost got earlier today
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Cammy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:21 pm

ravenkai wrote:Wow. Like when Brian took over for Frank Herbert. There's also been a few Heinlein books that were finished postumously. Wow. Can't believe he's dead. Guess tomorrow I need to make a trip to Ye Old Bookstore and buy the whole shelf of his books I almost got earlier today

Yeah, I heard the news the day after. I'm sure it WILL take a while to find someone to write the book and get it published, but apparently his notes were thorough and I heard he'd even told the entire final saga to his children, so hopefully it will be done and done right.

And since you brought up the Dune books and Brian Herbert, I am going to start crossing my fingers RIGHT NOW that the Wheel of Time series will be handled better (and without Kevin J. Anderson--no one else deserves that kind of suffering). I've yet to read the Wheel of Time books or get attached to them, but I wouldn't wish what happened to Dune on any series (sorry, can ya tell I wasn't so much a fan of the Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson stuff? ;) Apologies if you enjoyed them....)
Imagine witty sig here.
Cammy

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:35 pm

LOL.... I have a love/hate relationship with Kevin J. Anderson and I never know till I pick it up and read it which it will be.

I guess I will never forget when Jordon died, since it was on my Birthday!

When I finish the Wheel books, I'lll swap them for your Spider books if I don't already have a collection by them. ;)
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:37 pm

I have the first Dune novel and i didn't like it... so i don't know what happend afterwards withe Mr Anderson. have read one or two of his Star Wars Novels though.

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:57 pm

I love the story of Dune but I have difficulty with Herbert's writing style. It's like sitting there listening to myself talk for too long. I used to turn in 30 page short stories in english classes and get little notes that said, 'Your writing is A+ material but the assignemt was 10 to 15 pages so you are getting a B+ because you did not follow instructions'.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby fidelis » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:22 pm

last time i heard was that RJ spent the last week and a half recording down plot ideas and how he wanted it to finish on audio cassettes. as far as i am aware, his wife/editor harriet will be finishing the partial manuscript that RJ had written, and his publisher will do the editing of the final book. i also think his brother/brother in law will have something to do with it too but can't remember sorry.
How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?

Avatar image courtsey of Henning Ludvigsen - www.henningludvigsen.com
fidelis

New postby Raven Kai » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:32 pm

That was very insightful of him. I would love to hear those tapes someday, after seeing the result of them of course.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:40 am

ravenkai wrote:That was very insightful of him. I would love to hear those tapes someday, after seeing the result of them of course.

So would i To me this series is in my top Five series'. The scope of his story telling for this wonderfull world of the Aiel and Seanchan and Ogres, is truly amazing..... I really do hope they continue his work as to how RJ would have wanted it and not for themselves......

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:17 pm

Sanderson To Wrap Wheel Series

Fantasy author Brandon Sanderson has been selected to complete A Memory of Light, the final volume in best-selling author Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time sequence, which was left incomplete at the time of Jordon's death in September, publisher Tor announced.

Jordan died Sept. 15 after being diagnosed with amyloidosis, a rare blood disease.

Jordan began the Wheel of Time series in 1990 with The Eye of the World. It now consists of 11 volumes (plus one prequel novel) and has sold millions of copies worldwide. At the time of his death, Jordan was working on the 12th and final novel, A Memory of Light.

Harriet Popham Rigney, Jordan's widow and editor, chose Sanderson to finish the book, which will be written based on notes and scenes left by Jordan. "He left copious notes and hours of audio recordings," Rigney said in a statement.

Sanderson is the author of the fantasy novels Elantris, Mistborn, The Well of Ascension and the young-adult novel Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians. In 2006 and 2007, he was a finalist for the John W. Campbell Award for best new writer.

"I'm both extremely excited and daunted by this opportunity," Sanderson said in a statement. "There is only one man who could have done this book the way it deserved to be written, and we lost him in September. However, I promise to do my very best to remain true to Mr. Jordan's vision and produce the book we have all been waiting to read."

A Memory of Light is scheduled for publication in fall 2009. --John Joseph Adams
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:51 am

WICKED!!!!

That is absolutey the best news i've heard in ages! Glad they have chosen someone already to complete the series. Must of been hard for RJ's widow to choose someone to finish the task....

Raven your a treasure.

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:47 pm

:oops: Thank you.
Raven Kai
Administrator

Re: Wheel of Time

New postby Aaron_0105 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:36 pm

Well finally.... what was supposed to be the last book according to Robert Jordan which was going to be called "A Memory of Light" ( I really like that title) has now been turned into a 3 part series, with the first called The Gathering Storm, because it's too big to put into one volume. Now while that may sound good to me that has kinda of put me off because now that new bloke Sanderson may have gone a bit over board. I've actually picked up the trade back paperback in the store and it is as thick as Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. IT IS HUGE. I didn't buy it because i thought i would come home and have a look online for a cheaper price. But for once it actually turns out i should have bought it at the store.. for once it's cheaper. But the real problem i face is whether or not i want to buy it now, read it and then sit around for at least another year before the next volume even comes out, Or just wait until it all comes out and then read 'em all at once...

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Victoria Winters » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:05 pm

I too am intrigued by the idea...
Any view of things that is not strange, is false.
Victoria Winters

New postby fidelis » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:14 am

well i boought my copy (cause it was cheaper at the store) but i haven't read it, not cause i want to hold off till the "last" two come out but rather because i actually want to re-read the entire series again, which i am not willing to do because i just don't have the time... LOL by the time i have the time, enough time would have pased that the last two wheel of time books will have come out. did i say time too many times?
How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?

Avatar image courtsey of Henning Ludvigsen - www.henningludvigsen.com
fidelis

New postby Aaron_0105 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:17 pm

Yep you did Bear and i was thinking the same thing.. just re-reading those books is a good 6 months worth of kicking back and loosing yourself in that world.

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

Return to Books