TOR.com

Here's the place to discuss science fiction and fantasy books, plus their authors.

TOR.com

New postby Dementi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:08 am

While I am not sure if this falls under internet or books, or for that matter both...if you haven't ever checked out this site...then shame on you as a "geek" (lol). It is a cool site, with e-mail updates, contests and prizes.

Mind you the main reason for posting this is in the other heading we were talking about Harry Turtledove and low and behold...look below!

The House That George Built

New Story: "The House That George Built" by Harry Turtledove

Last week Tor.com debuted "The House That George Built," a short story by American science fiction author Harry Turtledove, starring H. L. Mencken and a familiar-looking barkeep... This alternate history wonders, "What if you stopped one rung shy of the top of the ladder?"

Turtledove has re-imagined history from the Byzantine Empire to World War II. His work has received numerous awards and distinctions, including the HOMer Award for Short Story in 1990 for "Designated Hitter," the John Esthen Cook Award for Southern Fiction in 1993 for Guns of the South, two Sidewise Awards for Alternate History, and the 1994 Hugo Award for his novella, Down in the Bottomlands. Publishers Weekly called Turtledove the "Master of Alternate History."

"The House That George Built" is beautifully illustrated by James Bennett. Bennett's illustrations have appeared as covers and interior pieces for dozens of magazines, including the The New York Times, The L.A. Times, and Reader's Digest. Bennett's picture books for children include The 1,000 Year Old Man by Mel Brooks, Tell Me a Scary Story... But Not Too Scary by Carl Reiner, and Halloween by Jerry Seinfeld. His awards include the prestigious Hamilton King, which acknowledges an illustrator's outstanding body of work represented by the "Best Illustration of the Year By a Member," the Stevan Dohanos Award for Best Illustration in the annual "Our Own Show," and the 2002 gold medal from the Society of Illustrators in New York.
lordoftheringlings New Comic: "Lord of the Ringlings"

Come on down and see the Greatest Show on Middle-earth! Adam McCauley, who also gave us "Star Drek," returns with "Lord of the Ringlings," a whimsical look at our beloved fantasy classic.

The Zen of Professor Nimbus: Nimbus in the Firmament

Nimbus has stars in his...well, everywhere. Don't forget to check out any previous installments you've missed at the Professor Nimbus collection page!
Is it okay to judge a book by its cover?

Have you ever refused to purchase a book because of its cover? Have you ever bought a book purely on the artwork? Or this debate obsolete with the emergence of downloads and ebooks? Brian James asks, "Is it okay to judge a book by its cover?"

Have you ever heard a song that immediately made you think of science fiction or fantasy?

In the genre we don't tend to immediately think of music as something science fictional, but so much music has a science fictional feel, through imagery, atmosphere, or structure. So what music makes you think of science fiction or fantasy?
Lord of the Rings and Wheel of Time Re-reads continue!

Kate Nepveu's Lord of the Rings re-read has just begun The Two Towers! Don't miss the most recent installment, "The Uruk-hai." Leigh Butler's Wheel of Time re-read just got through chapters 36-38 of The Fires of Heaven. Catch up on any installments you missed at the Lord of the Rings and Wheel of Time index pages.

I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream.
Dementi

Re: TOR.com

New postby Raven Kai » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:20 pm

Read and provide us a review, dear! :)
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Dementi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:34 pm

bah! When I find the time, mind you I am not sure my reviews are all that riveting!
Dementi

New postby Aaron_0105 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:45 pm

yes What Raven said ya lazy bum.
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Dementi » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:04 pm

SO mean....
Dementi

New postby Aaron_0105 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:11 pm

Am NOT!
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Dementi » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:25 pm

Are TOO!
Dementi

New postby Aaron_0105 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:11 am

D2..

talk about smartarse eh? :bounce:

Am not!

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Dementi » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:56 pm

ROFL...nice...

are too....
Dementi

New postby Aaron_0105 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:13 pm

child

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

Return to Books