A Literary Study in Sci Fi.

Here's the place to discuss science fiction and fantasy books, plus their authors.

A Literary Study in Sci Fi.

New postby Earthstar » Tue May 26, 2009 9:15 am

Hi! Sorry I haven't really been active on here, but better late than never right? I need to ask some advice from other sci fi readers. I have to pick a graduate focus for my English MA, and I want to convince the director of graduate studies to allow me to focus on popular contemporary literature. I think there are a LOT of WONDERFUL writers who are totally ignored by academia because their write "pop fiction". I noticed the thread on here about books that everyone is currently reading, and I thought I might be able to back my case up if I can present a list of books and authors whose works, though genre, are deep and compelling and examine the human experience or comment on our modern culture and society. So, what do you think guys, any suggestions?
Earthstar

Re: A Literary Study in Sci Fi.

New postby Victoria Winters » Tue May 26, 2009 9:29 am

Hi Earthstar! So you're the one hiding. :wink: Good to see your post.

hhhmmm...the most modern one I can think of that can be seen as a possiblity for you're huge undertaking is the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. It is set in modern Chicago and the whole scene is very believeable with even one of the main characters being a female police officer while the main character is a private investigator that is also, actually a wizard. There is a seperate thread that I'm sure you've seen here about this group of works, though it is full of spoilers. This series is still being written and Jim Butcher has a very nice official web site where the author is happy to answer questions.
I'm sure there are other ideas out there that would work well too.

Don't be a stranger, please post again. :)
Any view of things that is not strange, is false.
Victoria Winters

New postby Aaron_0105 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:25 pm

Ms Winters, that was who i first thought of as well..

Earthstar, Welcome, and i agree with The above post by Ms. WInters.. Jim Butcher is always on his site and forum chatting with fans and i'm sure he would be more than happy in helping you out with any questions that you may have...
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Tue May 26, 2009 7:53 pm

*Tackles her old friend* This is the only member of the forum who's faced me in sword combat... :D ... right after setting fire to Sponge Bob at the Cupid Must Die party. :P make her most welcome!!!

So... if you are looking for Contemporary, I would suggest the urban mythology of Neil Gaimen and Charles De Lint. They both write about NOW, this world, real people, etc. but with a twist. For example, imagine if all of the gods, demigods, spirits, myths, legends, etc of every culture were based in truth and those beings still lived today, though diminished because no one believes in them? Coexisting or existing on the the fringe of our societies, just hanging outside sight. Imagine, what if that thing you thought you saw out of the corner of your eye was real...

If you are staying with Scifi, you might be interested in Philip K. Dick who's short stories were the inspiration for such films as Blade Runner, Minority Report and Total Recall.

if you want to go to the Fantasy realm, I've got lots of recommendations there as well. For example, Terry Goodkinds' Sword of Truth series is actually a social commentary that deals with the human spirit.

Let's discuss... :P
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Victoria Winters » Tue May 26, 2009 8:47 pm

But everything I see out of the corner of my eye is real...

Oh, our beloved Captain Nemo also wanted me to pass along a modern take on Lovecraft's creations, if our new friend (old friend to Raven) Earthstar leans toward the macabre. Brian Lumley is a great atmospheric author, he does a whole modern Cthulu mythos inspired by the classic tales that bring them too our modern world. The same author has a Titus Crowe series that takes a modern scientist into the Cthulu realm.
Victoria Winters

New postby Aaron_0105 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:31 am

keep it coming ladies! I'm lapping this up for future reference!

[quote="Raven Kai"]
If you are staying with Scifi, you might be interested in Philip K. Dick who's short stories were the inspiration for such films as Blade Runner, Minority Report and Total Recall.
quote]

Really? They all came from the one man? Cool. Most definetly have look for these..
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Victoria Winters » Wed May 27, 2009 9:58 pm

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was the BladeRunner one. Excellent recommendation Raven. Modern global issues like human over-population, animal extinction, poverty, etc. Beautiful and rather sad.
Victoria Winters

New postby Raven Kai » Wed May 27, 2009 10:50 pm

Some times I have trouble remembering 'Blade Runner' and "Total Recall' because in my mind they are 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' and 'We Can Remember It For You Wholesale' :)

Oh and there is a book called 'Gun with Occasional Music' by Jonathan Lethem that I remember fondly. I had an editor's proof copy I got my hands on when I worked at Borders. It deals with Crygenic Prisons. :)
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:25 am

you used to work at borders?? Man i'd love to work there! They are new here in the land of Oz and i swear i could spend all day in there drinking coffe and reading books..
oh thanks for the proper titles... thought they would've been the same as the movies.. guess i was wrong..

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Victoria Winters » Thu May 28, 2009 7:42 pm

Captain Nemo has worked at Borders and Waldenbooks before. :wink:
I loves all yous edumakated type people. :D
Victoria Winters

New postby Raven Kai » Fri May 29, 2009 7:28 am

Yes, I was the cafe supervisor for the Border's near my home near Notre Dame. I was the lucky one who planned all the in store events such as Harry Potter release parties and concerts. You get freebies all the times but also you can check books out like it's a library. It's wonderful!!!! They did a restructure though and don't pay as much as they used to. When I was first interviewed it was for a $45k a year job and by the time I got hired it was only $8.50 an hour. lol. It's a long and funny story but it was a great work experience. I just couldn't live off the pay so after about 2 years, I took the job with Starbucks and moved to the Chicago area.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:05 am

at the moment thats equal to about $11, $12 here. Theyre nuts! Not even our junior workforce earns that little! Unless they are on a traineeship. Then that gets down to about $5 an hour!
Who said i wanted 2 work there?? Oops i did! Lol!
Bet you didnt want to leave, huh, Raven?

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Victoria Winters » Fri May 29, 2009 4:24 pm

I'd like to be making $8.50 an hour. (sigh)
Victoria Winters

New postby Aaron_0105 » Fri May 29, 2009 5:56 pm

ya know for suppsedly for the worlds strongest economy you guys have some very poorly paid workers...

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Victoria Winters » Fri May 29, 2009 10:10 pm

Word.
Victoria Winters

New postby Raven Kai » Sun May 31, 2009 7:25 am

yes, we are paid poorly. I am only making $8.50 now. :( It's painful. less then half of what I made before. and YES Aaron, we may have a strong economy but only 1% of the people are wealthy. Most of us can't afford the necessities in life.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:53 pm

Well that just sucks. Y'all should move over here and get decent paying jobs.. but thats if you don't minf moving to a country that is slighty behind in the times on some things..

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:24 pm

I'm already trying to get out of this country. I don't mind moving anywhere. :D
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:45 pm

Well the offer is still there Raven...

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:28 pm

:) And they'll let me immigrate why?
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:09 am

Cos your Raven, end of story...

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:03 am

SO long as you vouch for me, eh?
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:43 pm

yep.

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Victoria Winters » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:16 pm

All she needs in a legitimate job offer and she'll get a visa. :)
Victoria Winters

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:12 pm

Yep. Now I just need a job offer. It's not for lack of trying. Well, I haven't applied in Oz yet but I was trying to get to Vancouver or Tampa preferably. Tampa is just temporary though, a stepping stone so to speak. :) Hopefully I'll be writing and selling my scifi/fantasy sooner then later and be a full time journalist. :P
Then I can go all over the world! :)
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:37 am

Yippee!!!

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Raven Kai » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:54 am

I'm gonna have to POKE Mick (Earthstar) to get her back here to read this thread. :?
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Earthstar » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:23 am

Sorry! Sorry, I've been running around trying to confirm my graduate studies at SIUC. The whole system is tangled already and then we were hit by a derecho during graduation, which put everything behind!

Thank you ALL for the recommendations! I have to talk to the director. I know that if I focus on Sci Fi I can write my dissertation on that, but I'm really hoping they will let me study "cult" fiction, which is basically genre fiction. I think academia is missing out by ignoring popular writers and genre fiction, focusing on what someone decides is Literature (literally with the capital "L", everything else being just literature). I'm hoping to be allowed to really study what everyone outside of the English tower is actually reading. (I think they will put their collective foot down if Twilight is ever mentioned, so I needed some very talented names to drop! [Besides, when it comes to vampires I'm a purest! They have to be evil unless magical intervention is mentioned, and they have to dust in the sun]).

OH, and Raven, if you go to Australia I am SO living on your couch!

Also, I miss Borders. I use to work for Walden Books (AWESOME discount, even better than their sister Borders), and I would shop at Borders because I would still get my awesome discount. Down here all we have is a snooty Barnes and Nobles and I can never find what I want and they never hire. :-(

OH, and I've already read the first book of the Dresden Files!!! So I'll happily pick up more! And I DO enjoy Lovecraft! :-D
Earthstar

New postby Earthstar » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 am

OH, and side note, I was also preoccupied with making up an avatar for myself, which will hopefully be done soon. (Well, I'm choosing between a couple, so hopefully I'll make up my mind soon! :-) )
Earthstar

New postby Aaron_0105 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:27 am

lol! Thats Awesome Earthstae.. And don't mention twilight... (Shudder.. or maybe because its cold here?)
Glad you already have read the 1st of the dresden files.. Belive me it only gets better... waaaaaaaay better..

Oh and if your thinking of living on Raven's Couch if she moves Here then you had better ask me 1st cos it'll be my couch that you will be sleeping on.. :mrgreen:

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

Next

Return to Books