Neil Gaiman

Here's the place to discuss science fiction and fantasy books, plus their authors.

Neil Gaiman

New postby Aaron_0105 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:59 am

Hey i've seen Stardust and really loved it and i thought it would be an awesome book, so naturally i went home and jumped on the net, Lo and Behold! it is!!!! now i haven't actually read it yet since i'm right in the middle of a series and i don't really like reading different books at the same time, i also noticed Neil Gaiman has written other books, are they any good? does anyone recommend them? If so, should they be read in any particualr order or save the best for last?
Aaron_0105

Re: Neil Gaiman Books

New postby Cammy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:35 am

Aaron_0105 wrote:Hey i've seen Stardust and really loved it and i thought it would be an awesome book, so naturally i went home and jumped on the net, Lo and Behold! it is!!!! now i haven't actually read it yet since i'm right in the middle of a series and i don't really like reading different books at the same time, i also noticed Neil Gaiman has written other books, are they any good? does anyone recommend them? If so, should they be read in any particualr order or save the best for last?

Neil Gaiman is great! American Gods was great as was Coraline (usually marketed as a middle-grade children's book). I think my favorite of his works is Good Omens (co-written with Terry Pratchett)--it's hysterically funny. I'm also (*finally*, after wanting to for more than a decade) reading his Sandman comics (only through the first volume so far) and finding them fantastic as well.
Imagine witty sig here.
Cammy

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:50 am

American Gods is very good! I liked the 'sequal' Anansi Boys even more. They had completely different feels to them though they take place in the same 'world' though with different characters then the first book. I haven't read his other books yet but I do love everything I've seen or read by him. Have you seen MirrorMask? It's based on one of his books but I haven't had a chance to get my hands on the book yet. It seems to me that the mood, the setting and stories are all very different from each other while maintaining the same 'other worldly-but-almost-ours' feel about them.

Oh, and I LOVE Terry Pratchet!!! I even have the DiskWorld computer game around here somewhere...
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:54 am

Have any of you actually seen Stardust? It was releasded on Dvd a few days ago and naturally i went and hired and burned myself a copy....
Awesome movie... If you haven't seen it.
Watch it.
Then we can talk about it......
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Victoria Winters » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:26 am

Neverwhere is my favorite by Neil!
Any view of things that is not strange, is false.
Victoria Winters

New postby Raven Kai » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:51 pm

Dad purchased Stardust recently and we watched. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Niel Gaimen. Did I mention that I love him?
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Dementi » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:24 pm

Stardust was great...saw it a few months ago...trying to locate some of the books...
I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream.
Dementi

New postby Aaron_0105 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:28 pm

Now the book is a whole different story.... I read it but wasn't to impressed with it... Movie was very different and i enjoyed the movie more than the book. Which is very rare for me as i usually prefer the book to the movie.
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Telkesh » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:36 am

Gaiman is great.
I was a huge Pratchett fan and when I saw a copy of Good Omens I had to pick it up. From there I moved on to American Gods.

American Gods is still one of my favourite novels I've ever read. It might be the writing style, or it might be because I follow the Norse religion more closely then I do any other, or it might be a mix of the both.
Sadly that's about all the books I've read. I had a hard time getting my hands on anything else down here.

I was floored to see Mirrormask on DVD. Not in cinema's, no advertising anywhere, just *BOOM* Gaiman on DVD. I had to get it. It was so... crazy. I loved it.
Then I learnt that Stardust was being made into a movie, too. It was the first movie I've actually gone to a cinema to see in over a year. It was worth it.

I wish I could get a hold of some of his books (Without paying through the nose for it) down here. But it's great to see his work being made into movies more on more. I wonder what's next?
:-:Smile - It may seem dark now, but a new dawn will come. Dawn always comes:-:
Telkesh

New postby Raven Kai » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:47 am

Ah, I waited and waited for MirrorMask to come out. I heard about it because I am a huge Creature Shop (Jim Henson Company) fanatic and I knew that the film was in the making about the same time Farscape: the Peacekeeper War was being wrapped for SciFi channel. I really didn't know who Niel Gaimen was until then. I waited and waited and it never came to the theater. I played on the website, downloaded trailers, wallpapers, etc, never found the show. Then one day I saw the trailer for it when I rented a bunch of movies for my kids when we were snowed in and school was cancled for 4 days (6 day weekend for them!) I rushed ou and got it right away. I was sooo disappointed it went right to DVD without any fanfare. Still, I was very excited to see it out. A coworker recommended American Gods to me and I loved it. Same co-worker loaned me Anansi Boys and I liked it even better. I haven't read any other of his books yet but I"m looking for them as well.
Raven Kai
Administrator

Return to Books