Callahan's Crosstime Saloon

Here's the place to discuss science fiction and fantasy books, plus their authors.

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon

New postby Cammy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:37 am

Callahanians, It's Time for a Toast!

To Geektastic Forums!

crashes glass into the fireplace

Anyone out there a fan of Spider Robinson's tales of Callahan's Crosstime Saloon? The place with its own scientific law? "Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased--thus do we refute entropy."

Show yourselves, Callhanians! Step up to the bar for a drink, and if you feel so moved, then over to the fireplace for a toast.
Cammy

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:36 am

walks over to the bar for an Irish Whisky and joins Cammy by the fireplace

I must admit, I read Callahan's Crosstime Saloon in the very early 80's and much of it went over my head (I was probably about 10 or 12) but I have wanted to reread it. I think perhaps I will work a few Spider Robinson books in between my Xanth and Histories reading. I do believe that Callahan's law may just have had a lasting impact on me even though I didn't realize it! You've probably heard me say it before, 'A burden shared is a burden halved'?

Anyway, Here's to punny good books and great friends to share them with!

downs the whisky and tosses the glass into the fireplace
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Dementi » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:23 pm

Sounds interesting...will have to go and get the book. I love finding new authors.

/shyly walks over to the bar to listen in
Dementi

New postby abacus » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:38 pm

Sidles up to the bar stool next to Dementi and orders a pint of something flat and murky

Anyone with a name like Spider Robinson gets my attention straight away

Politely resists temptation to lob pint glass at fireplcae over Raven and Cammy's head prior to drinking contents
abacus

New postby Raven Kai » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:01 pm

abacus wrote:Sidles up to the bar stool next to Dementi and orders a pint of something flat and murky

Anyone with a name like Spider Robinson gets my attention straight away

Politely resists temptation to lob pint glass at fireplcae over Raven and Cammy's head prior to drinking contents

saunters over to the bar for a seconds, a nice tall Guiness this time around and fires up a Djarum Light

Welcome abacus! Nice to see ya at Callahan's! Taking some time away from the books, eh? Have you found your mojo yet?
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Aaron_0105 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:04 pm

A nice pint of Kilkenny sounds nice.....
Whats the Novel about?
Aaron_0105

New postby abacus » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:43 pm

ravenkai wrote:saunters over to the bar for a seconds, a nice tall Guiness this time around and fires up a Djarum Light

Welcome abacus! Nice to see ya at Callahan's! Taking some time away from the books, eh? Have you found your mojo yet?

Pretty much.. got time for a nifty pint at any rate!

Glowers as she suddenly notices the pile of books that have slipped into the bar after her and are surreptitiously stacking themselves onto the adjecent bar stool.

Actually, make that a pint and a nip.... or possibly several nips.
abacus

New postby Cammy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:04 pm

Aaron_0105 wrote:A nice pint of Kilkenny sounds nice.....
Whats the Novel about?

Hmm, somehow I must have stopped the email notices on this topic and not realized, because I never saw your question until now.

Callahan's is not so much a novel as a collection of stories centering around a bar called Callahan's and the unique set of characters that frequent it. At least that's how it began in Callahan's Crosstime Saloon. There are a few books later that are full blown novels. It's kind of like average whackos saving the Universe one heartache at a time.

And for you Sanctuary Fans, I'd love to start up a bit of a discussion on one of the stories in particular from Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, "A Voice is Heard in Ramah...." It was actually one of the first things I thought of when I heard about Helen Magnus. The similarities between her and Rachel remained even as I re-read that section over the summer.

Finally, I popped in here to let y'all know that apparently someone is working on porting the old Callahan's computer game to the web. I've not had time to play with it much, but I hope it's successful: http://homepage.mac.com/utkemich/ccs/
Imagine witty sig here.
Cammy

New postby Dementi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:46 am

Woot, my copy just arrived in the mail! I can finally join in all the fun!
I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream.
Dementi

Return to Books