Terry Pratchett

Here's the place to discuss science fiction and fantasy books, plus their authors.

Terry Pratchett

New postby Tracy Trollop » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:25 pm

Ook!

I think this is the only forum in the known multiverse where I can post a title like that and be understood.

I got into Discworld a couple of months back. I've only read about ten or eleven of the books, but I'm hooked. And I'm in love with the librarian. Anyone else a fan of the series?
Tracy Trollop

New postby Raven Kai » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:32 pm

Yes, I love DiscWorld. Ihaven't read many of the books but I did find the video game years ago and loved the story. It's what got me into the books. I have recently acquired "The Color Of Magic" which is the prequal I guess. So I am working on reading the series. The game was a real hoot! you must find it.

As for this being the only forum in the known multiverse, well, that is kind of the idea of this place. A place where everyone gets each other and it's okay that no one else can.
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Tracy Trollop » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:48 pm

Colour of Magic is the first of a two-parter. The second is called The Light Fantastic. Seeing as the first is a litteral cliffhanger, you need the second!
Tracy Trollop

New postby Raven Kai » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:07 pm

I will keep an eye out for it. I've been on a book buying binge because all my books got left behind in Michigan so I have been spending most of my free time at used book stores, yard sales, flea markets, eBay, etc trying to get books!
Raven Kai
Administrator

Pratchett Reveals Alzheimer's

New postby Raven Kai » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:08 pm

OH No!!!

Pratchett Reveals Alzheimer's

Terry Pratchett, the best-selling fantasy author and creator of the Discworld series, announced on Dec. 11 that he has been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease. Pratchett revealed his condition in an open letter that first appeared on Discworld artist Paul Kidby's Web site.

The 59-year-old Pratchett is the author of dozens of novels, including more than 30 in his popular Discworld series. His novel The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents won the Carnegie Medal, one of the highest honors given to children's and young-adult literature. He has also won the Locus Award and the British Science Fiction Association Award and has been nominated for Nebula and Hugo awards.

In his letter, Pratchett said that he would have liked to keep the news quiet but felt that it was unfair to both his publishers and his fans. "All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments," Pratchett wrote. "Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet." --John Joseph Adams
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Dementi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:44 am

Yet another book I have never heard of...so un-geeky...slinks away ashamed!
I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream.
Dementi

Re: Pratchett Reveals Alzheimer's

New postby abacus » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:54 pm

ravenkai wrote:Pratchett Reveals Alzheimer's

Yeah. Tis sad news.
Although i haven't read many of the discworld books, those that i've read, I really enjoyed. And i played Albert in a production of Mort, directed by one of my sisters, a few years back. My sister also played Rincewind (who makes a cameo appearance) and I got to turn her unto a newt. Which was incredibly pleasing.
abacus

New postby Dementi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:59 pm

As for this particular series, alas I have not read it nor heard of it, guess it is another I will have to add to my ever growing list to buy.

Questions true geekiness!
Dementi

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:09 pm

oh, and play the game if you can find it!!!

Abacus - It sounds like such fun!!! Love Rincewind. He was voiced by Eric Idle in the game so every time I think of Rincewind, I think of Eric!
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Pegasus Angel » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:11 am

OMG I don't believe it, finally people I can share my love of Terry Pratchett with!!

I was just going to start a topic when I noticed a small little innocent 'Ook' and KNEW it was going to be about all things Discworld!!

I've read all the Discworld novels bar his latest 'Making Money' which I got for Xmas. I just read his previous two over the last few days 'Thud!' and 'Wintersmith' which were both AMAZING! (I have them all in hardback edition).

Hard to pin down my favourite out of the 36, I really do love them all. However Rincewind and Commander Vimes have to be two of my favourite characters with Granny Weatherwax and Tiffany Aching coming close behind them.

What I like about his books (and the fact he is from Wiltshire, where I am from) is that they are so intricately detailed and so well thought out, everything is linked in some little way and how it all comes together in the last chapter each time is so fantastic!!

It's such a pity he has Alzheimer's, and I hope, like he says himself, that he does have time for a few more books (though I'll understand if he doesn't of course lol). He truly is a legend and no one else even comes close to his style and talent imho... *bows to TP's awesomeness* :D
Last edited by Pegasus Angel on Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pegasus Angel

New postby Aaron_0105 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:27 am

36 Books!!!! Holy dooly! i still have 31 more to go!!!
Life is fun, death is peaceful, it is usually the transition that is painful.....

UberSci!
Aaron_0105

New postby Pegasus Angel » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:39 am

And they just get better and betterer :D

I forgot to mention the character of DEATH, he is also one of my fave characters...

*sighs* ah good times...
Pegasus Angel

New postby Dementi » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:11 am

36...hmm...guess I better start looking....
Dementi

New postby Raven Kai » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:38 pm

LOL. I love DEATH! Did you ever play the computer game, PA? It's sooo much fun! Rincewind is voiced by Eric Idle and Death follows him around the game waiting for you to screw up!! There's a small firebreathing dragon called 'Mortimor 16' or M-16 for short ;) Maybe my fondness for this Death is what made Dead Like Me so endearing!
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Pegasus Angel » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:56 am

Nope didn't play the game. I do have some of the animated cartoons they made, but tbh, the magic of Terry Pratchett and the Discworld is in the reading...

I have decided to try my hand at writing my very own Discworld short story!! I have a title, a new character, snatched some of TP's characters and an idea (or 10)!! :D

http://www.pjsmprints.com/index.html
^ Link to website for Terry Pratchett things...

OMG there is a TP convention in the US :shock:

http://www.nadwcon.org/
Pegasus Angel

New postby Raven Kai » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:15 pm

Cool. You've got lots of time to save up since it's in 2009!
Raven Kai
Administrator

New postby Pegasus Angel » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:50 am

ravenkai wrote:Cool. You've got lots of time to save up since it's in 2009!

Lol, yeah :D

I wrote the first chapter of my short story. I'm going to post it here in the right section once I'm finished. Won't post it on my own forum as no one there's read much Terry Pratchett so they won't understand who some of the characters are...I'm hoping people here have read 'Thud!' or they won't get the 'Blackberry' reference *ho hum*
Pegasus Angel

Return to Books